Today, I want to share with you a recipe that will make you want to eat (fried) tofu. Yes, I’m serious.
This sauce got my Dad (“Tofu?! What the hell is that?”), my grandpa (“Where’s my meat?”) and grandma (“Traditional cooking is the best… No need to experiment. Where’s the smetana?”) to eat tofu.
This sauce is absolutely amazing. I make it any chance I see where we could potentially dip food in it. I had it with rolls, tempura and vegetables. All in all, I just REALLY like the taste of this. It tastes like one of those exotic sauces you would get an Asian themed restaurant. It’s sweet and a little spicy, and has an awesome smooth texture. Are you ready to try it out?
This recipe was inspired by General Tso Tofu, and I only made a little variation in it.
First, start off with some chopped garlic and onions (seen in the back); you could use green onions too!
Then you take water, mirin, white vinegar, soy sauce, sugar and chili paste and mix it all together in a bowl.
Then mix together 1 tablespoon corn starch and 1 tablespoon water to form a paste in a separate bowl (so the sauce will thicken).
Finally, get those onions and garlic sauteing on the saucepan! (med heat.) Stir often.
After about 1 minute, add in 1/2 tablespoon ground ginger and fry it in oil for a few seconds before adding in the sauce and the paste. Allow the mixture to boil (while stirring intermittently), and then let it boil for 1 minute longer. You will see that the red colour will now switch to a deep, deep red/brown colour. It’s really neat!
Take it off the stove and let it cool.
And you’re done! Drizzle it over anything you’d like. My family and I generally eat it with tofu on top of rice!
General Tso Sauce (originally by: Stephani Kepman)
- 3 green onions or 1/2 a small onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 tablespoon red chili paste
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper (more for more spice)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- mix in the water, soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, mirin, chili paste, and red-pepper until sugar is dissolved – set aside
- mix corn starch and water to form a paste- set aside.
- saute onions and garlic in a saucepan on medium heat for about a minute.
- right before adding in sauce, add in the ground ginger and stir for a few seconds.
- add in the red sauce, followed by the paste
- bring the sauce to a boil and then cook for 1 minute more
- remove from stove, and allow to cool.
Do you have a favorite sauce recipe? Please comment and tell me!